IBM HS20 blade and 5.1 release problems (USB)

Geoff Buckingham geoffb at chuggalug.clues.com
Thu Aug 28 05:19:18 PDT 2003

I have come across the following issues with 5.1 and the IBM blades.
They are likely to apply to 4.x too.

The HS20 has a serial port, but it is only available as a header on board.

The HS20 also has an AT keyboard controller but that seems not to be physically
available anywhere.

IBMs BladeCenter Chasis has two usb hubs which are switched bettween the blades by the managment module in the chassis.

One hub has a CD and Floppy drive, this works fine.

The other hub has a mouse and two usb keyboards. One usb keyboard is the PS2
keyboard connected to the  managment module, the other is the keyboard element
of the integrated IP KVM switch.

These two usb keyboards are only ever attached to one of the fourteen blades
at a time. However these two keyboards are the only input devices available to
the console.

IBM rely on all keyboard input ending up in the same place, as is the case
in windows and presumably Linux.
Is there a way to get syscons to listen to multiiple keyboards at the same
time?

I have been using usbd to detect the connection of the keyboards and configure
syscons, however because multiple devices connect in the same event (ukbd1,
umouse0)  I discovered I was unable to trigger any action on the connection of
the keyboard, only the mouse, so now when a mouse is attached usbd forces
syscons to use kbd2. Is this a bug or feature of usbd?

Finaly the loader uses the bios for keyboard interaction. However when booting
single user you intialise syscons, but not usbd, is there some otherway to
figure out if a usb keyboard is attached (remebering most of the time it
will not be) and notify syscons?