Many problems with PCMCIA/CF reader in -current.

Jaye Mathisen mrcpu at internetcds.com
Wed Aug 27 12:55:37 PDT 2003

I have a "Dazzle" CF/PCMCIA adapter, which I use to flash CF cards
for some embedded devices.

The notebook I use it on is a Fujistu lifebook P2120.

With FreeBSD 4.8, I can dd to/from the CF card with this reader just fine.
It has nary a problem.

With any version of 5.x, I have a variety of problems including things like
card insertion freezes the machine.  I can switch consoles, but no output
takes place.  As soon as I remove the card all my typing "appears" in the
various windows.

If I do manage to reinsert it enough times so it doesn't hang, then a dd
to/from the device will either occasionally hang it, or I will get a variety
of I/O errors, usually relating to "device timeout".  WHen this happens
I cannot type anything until I pull the adapter out, so I can't
do an atacontrol stuff, or look at console output, or anything...

I really want this to work, but not sure what else I can do.

4.8 works fine with the exact notebook/CF adapter, everything.

I try to update regularly, but so far, I don't believe a version of 5.x
has ever worked.

The problem with the full-time use of 4.8 is that I can't get my realtek
or wifi (builtin) to work properly...

Any tips/assistance appreciated.