PCMCIA trouble with Xircom, "CIS is too long -- truncating"

Sergey A. Osokin osa at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 27 04:08:49 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:47:11PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> good and bad news. Good news is that -current installation
> CD-Rom (JPSNAP of yesterday) doesn't panic during boot
> anymore, which was the case previously (or when inserting
> the card). Thanks a lot, this is a very good progress, I'm
> very pleased !
>
> But the fix opened another problem. The card isn't recognized
> by the FreeBSD anymore:
>
> [... kernel boot messages ...]
>
> Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
> CIS is too long -- truncating
> pccard0: Card has no functions
> cbb0: PC Card activation failed
>
> [...]
>
> When trying to do installation, the NIC isn't found.
> The PCMCIA card is a:
>
> 	Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56, REM55G-100.
>
> Here a dump of the CIS:
>
> andreas at aklemm[ttyp0]{1001} ~ pccardc dumpcis
[skipped]

> What more infos do you need ?

Yes, please tell more about your kernel config file.
I think you use
device	cbb
device	pccard
device	cardbus

Please comment this lines and add
device	pcic
device	card 1

and recompile your kernel. Let me know does it help you.

--

Rgdz,                        /"\  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Sergey Osokin aka oZZ,       \ /    AGAINST HTML MAIL