sound card woes

Matt Gostick matt at virtualservice.com
Fri Aug 22 08:28:07 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 17:04, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 03:20:55PM -0400, Matt Gostick wrote:
> > I have a SND Blaster 16 in my computer.  I was using FreeBSD 4.8 and
> > 'device pcm' in my kernel config file, worked great.  I've completely
> > re-installed with 5.1R and recompiled my kernel with 'device pcm'.
> > Unfortunately sound doesn't work.
>
> You also could add 'device sbc' to your kernel config since that is the
> SB bridge driver. But the card should work with PCM only.
>
> What does 'cat /dev/sndstat' say?

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> at io 0x220 irq 7 drq 0 bufsz 4096d (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

cat test.wav > /dev/dsp makes a sound...  but it isn't exactly what
test.wav should sound like.

> The issue is probably some resource conflict. Since you have an SB 16,
> I'll have to ask: is it ISA? Or ISAPnP? Or PCI? PCI should "just work"
> but if it is ISA, you will need some tweaking.

It is an ISA card... very old.  Should I try and dig up a PCI card, or
is it going to fairly 'painless' tweaking?  Where should I start
tweaking?

Matt.