smp in 5.1

Evan Dower evantd at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:27:09 PDT 2003

I've got a dual athlon 1900+ MP. I've run both 4.x and 5.x. On 5.x I've
tried both schedulers (4BSD and ULE). I don't think I've ever had any
crashes, except when I install nvidia-driver, and then it crashes all the
time. Theoretically 5.x should be better for smp as much work has happened
in terms of locking. I haven't done any benchmarks, but I wouldn't expect
any dramatic improvement, as locking work in many subsystems is still
incomplete. Many things still need GIANT. 5.x does have a bunch of other
good stuff though, and going that route saves you from upgrading later
through an even bigger version gap. That's my two sense, and if it sounds
like I know what I'm talking about, it's pure coincidence ;-) Others: please
correct me if I got anything really wrong (I tried to be vague enough to
aviod that, but we'll see).
;-)
Evan Dower