INET6 in world

Daniel C. Sobral dcs at tcoip.com.br
Fri Aug 8 07:05:10 PDT 2003

Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:01:30AM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>
>>Terry Lambert wrote:
>>

>>>1)	Machines do not ship with it enabled by default; a
>>>	Windows user has about as much probability of doing
>>>	the necessary work to enable it as they do of making
>>>	something other than Internet Explorer their default
>>>	browser.
>>>
>>>2)	You have to go to a command line prompt and issue a
>>>	cryptic command to enable it at all.
>>
>>Err, not at all. You go to install/remove additional windows components
>>(I do not recall the exact phrasing) and select IPv6.
>>

>>>3)	When you enable it, you get a huge scare warning about
>>>	it being experimental.
>>
>>I didn't. :-) And the bastard stopped doing A queries. :-)
>

> That'll be because, according to
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administration/ipv6/default.asp
> there's no support in Windows XP's IPv6 stack for DNS.

I wonder about their definition of "support". There *were* queries being
made, but only AAAA. It never asked for A, even when IPv6 was disabled
in (but added to) the interface.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes
E-mail: Daniel.Capo at tco.net.br
         Daniel.Sobral at tcoip.com.br
         dcs at tcoip.com.br

Outros:
	dcs at newsguy.com
	dcs at freebsd.org
	capo at notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

Westheimer's Discovery:
	A couple of months in the laboratory can frequently save a
couple of hours in the library.