Weird reboots from bootmgr or loader

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Wed Aug 6 10:23:50 PDT 2003

haro at kgt.co.jp wrote this message on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 19:43 +0900:
> I also got the same BTX error during boot up. :(
> I used 4.8-RELEASE CD to boot till loader starts up,
> changed currdev/loaddev/kernel etc to the -CURRENT setting
> and let system boot.
>
> From: "Florian Smeets" <flo at kasimir.com>
> Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:43:18 +0200 (CEST)
> ::<quote who="Lukas Ertl">
> ::> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> ::>
> ::>> Are you running -current w/ a kernel from the last 24 hrs?  (After
> ::>> phk's mass swap check in?)  If so, make sure your swap isn't at the
> ::>> start of your disk.  If it is, phk was nice enough to only blow away
> ::>> your boot blocks instead of your disk label too. :)  Swap currently
> ::>> uses all but the first page (4k on i386).
> ::>
> ::> Argl, YES, swap _is_ the first partition:
> ::
> ::Yes same here!
>
> Same here, as well. :(
>
> ::>
> ::> Does that mean I have to rearranged or never build world again?
> ::
> ::Yeah good question, what can we do ?
>
> May be, we have to run 'bsdlabel -B' just before shutting down
> system, everytime, until it gets fixed. :(

Simply move the swap start to 16, and reduce the swap length by 16..
Do this in single user, or comment out swap temporarily and reboot,
you can't have swap mounted for this change.  This will cause swap to
skip the disklabel, and you should be happy again.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579