bootstrapping network (bcm) on Dell D800

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins hawk at slytherin.ds.psu.edu
Wed Aug 6 06:14:26 PDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 08:48:20AM -0400, David Gilbert wrote:

> Andre> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Dr. Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

<getting the drivers onto the D800>

> Andre> Does this new toy have a 32-bit pci slot available? If so, pop
> Andre> in a nic (temporarily), cvsup and/or grab the needed patches
> Andre> and rebuild away!
>
> It has a mini-pci slot.  You'd have a hard time getting an ethernet
> card in there.  Having just had a look at the patch, it's a little
> large to be typing in by hand.

> Here's the options I see for you:

> 1) the D800 has a serial port (rare on today's laptops).  Hook up a
> modem or a null serial cable and network thusly to cvsup.

> 2) the D800 has a pccard slot.  Find someone with a wireless or
> ethernet card.

<etc>

I finally figureed out that the removable floppy (which works both as an
external usb and internall) is treated as a scsi device, not /dev/fd0.
So I tried moving the drivers from the up to date machine.  No dice;
they depend on another changed function.

So I borrowed a usb zip drive, and found that a bzip2'd source tree is
only 83M.  I've moved that, and have a new kernel compiling from a
source tree updated this morning.  Am I going to have to do anything
else to get the bge device detected, or will it just kernel installation
and reboot take care of this?

thanks

hawk