MSDOSFS woes

Tim Robbins tjr at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Aug 6 03:06:15 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 06:08:50PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> Gang, :-)
>
> While working with Marcel on a bootable CD-ROM for IA64 issue,
> I've stumbled upon the following problem.  I needed to increase
> the size of the EFI partition (which is an MS-DOS file system)
> to 64M, and that made two of my machines stuck solidly -- a lot
> of process are waiting on the "wdrain" event.

Interesting. Were you running with INVARIANTS on? I got a completely
reproducible kernel panic when running your script, regardless of whether I
used -F 12 or -F 16; it was trying to write file data past the end of the disk,
and causing kernel memory pool to become corrupted. I was seeing Memory
modified after free errors, with blocks most recently used by GEOM and file
desc.

Were you running the script with INVARIANTS on?

Tim