Question about iSCSI / NAS / Cluster

Bob McClure h8msft at gmail.com
Mon May 25 16:56:12 UTC 2009

Francisco,
  This sounds very similar to the issue I encountered when trying to backend
a shared SAN connection. The problem that
I ran into was that this shared area would need to be configured as a shared
file system such as GFS that is not available
for FreeBSD. I did get concurrent connections, but bad things happened.

  There is package that is available for FreeBSD (ifstated) that reportedly
will aid you with knowing when a carp status changed, but
I personally never got it to work properly due to time constraints.

  My original solution that I still use is a script that looks at the carp
device info from ifconfig and reports MASTER or BACKUP.
This can be executed periodically by a script to have the new master mount
the shared resource and the non-master give it up.
This is far from ideal, but works in instances where immediate fail over is
not required. This is designed to be called from a shell
script via backtick.

STATUS=`./carpstatus.pl`
if [ $STATUS = "MASTER" ] ; then
fi

(carpstatus.pl)
#!/usr/bin/perl
# $output = `ifconfig | grep carp: | grep vhid | /usr/bin/awk '{print \$2}'`
;
# chomp($output) ;
# print "$output" ;

  I hope this helps you with your issue.