How to on building a High Performance Server on FreeBSD

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 05:17:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Gerardo Paredes
<gerardon_paredes at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes we do intend to use MPI, but i was talking about how to setup the cluster going through the NFS install, where to put /home, at the NFS server or locally?, if would be better to install the worker nodes as diskless, netbooting machines, or can we arrange a setup of fully installed FreeBSD7.0 workstation to use their resources whenever somebody is not using them?
>
> I believe this point hasn't been worked enough on the FreeBSD documentation, as good as the Handbook is, there isn't good documentation on how to setup a cluster on it.

Not a HOWTO, but I think it is one of the best I have been on HPC
clustering on FreeBSD:

"Building a High-performance Computing Cluster Using FreeBSD"

http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/bsdcon2003/

You can also read other papers related to the subject at:
http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/papers/

Rayson