HA cluster

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 3 15:41:02 PDT 2007

Hi Jordi,

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Jordi Prats wrote:

> Currently I have two (redundant) load balancers with LVS,

I checked the Website.. the most of them are on application level so they
should be available under FreeBSD as well.

E.g. I have a Red Hat szenario with Apache as the loadbalancer and
clustered tomcat 6.0 behind. A developer has the same setup at a FreebSD-7
box and tests it there.

> and several NFS,

I believe the Red Had Cluster uses GFS to have concurrent r/w access to
the SAN?

I try to imagine to use FreeBSD stuff as gmirror, ZFS, iscsi, CARP etc...
it all does not sum up to something similiar - but it may be my lack of
imagination only.

NFSv4 is designed to support for replication and migration but I have no
idea about the FreeBSD implementation status. I just find this old status
report:
http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2006-01-2006-03.html#FreeBSD-NFS-Status-Report

"FreeBSD NFSv4 server is pretty stable now and available via anonymous
ftp. NFSv4.1 features are not a part of it yet and are not likely to
happen until at least the end of 2006. Contact
rick at snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca for details."

The sources for current only contains code for a NFSv4 client.

To be fair I do not know about the Linux implematation either. A document
last updated in March
(http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/Server_state) predicts this
implemented in 2.6.19. We have 2.6.23 by now but I cannot find it in the
kernel changelogs..

> MySQL and PostgreSQL servers using RedHat cluster suite.

As already pointed out there are replication solutions for postgresql and
MySQL - they should work under FreeBSD in the same way as for Linux.

Regards
Peter