Problems with carp

Giulio Ferro auryn at zirakzigil.org
Mon Oct 9 01:00:26 PDT 2006

I'm some strange behaviour with carp in FreeBSD.

I have a simple redundant firewall configuration: Each machine has
three Realtek Gibabit network interfaces, one toward Internet, one toward
LAN, and one toward each other with a cross cable for syncronization
The PCs have 2GHz. celerons. The firewall software is pf, the os is Freebsd
6.2 prerel. (updated last friday). In the rules I have:
pass quick proto carp
pass quick proto pfsync

On the master firewall the redundant interfaces are set like this

on the backup firewall
advskew 100"
advskew 100"

As long as there is only one firewall everything works fine. When I
start the backup firewall
this unexplainadly becomes the master, and the one which was master
becomes backup!

Another strange behavior is that an ifconfig on firewall 2 will show the
advskew of the
LAN carp interface to be 0, not 100 (on the Internet if it's set
correctly to 100).
I have to set it manually to 100 to make it work.

This configuration works fine, even if it's not what I want (I'd like
the first firewall to be
master). Another problem comes out when I power down the second
firewall. The first
firewall becomes master again, BUT the common interface is lost. That
is, if I try to ping
the common IP from a machine on the LAN, it doesn't get any answer. Only the
physical interace seems to work. Even a ifconfig carp0 arp doesn't any
good. I have to
restart the firewall to make it work properly again..

Another problem is that the interfaces don't fail as a group. Of course
I have
net.inet.carp.preempt=1
but if I try to unplug a cable from firewall 2, that carp interface
becomes INIT, but the other
interface stays MASTER. Specularly on firewall 1 the corrisponding carp
interface becomes
MASTER, but the other stays BACKUP. Result : nothing works any more...

I hope someone has some good ideas why this happens. I hope this is the
right place to
ask these questions, but I couldn't  find a carp-related mailing list...