R: Re: rsh fails: [WAS] pvm connection problems

vittorio vdemart1 at tin.it
Wed Nov 30 16:03:27 GMT 2005

Alle 15:19, mercoledì 30 novembre 2005, Matthew D. Fuller ha scritto:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 04:01:06PM +0100 I heard the voice of
>
> Vittorio, and lo! it spake thus:
> > 6) I reciprocate the same  configuring steps on the other
> > machine uffbsd.
> >
> > Well in the end:
> > # rsh uffbsd
> > uffbsd.myd.prv:
> > Connection refused
>
> rsh with no arguments uses rlogind, not the rshd.

Thanks to the suggestions in this mailing-list, after enabling rlogind in
inetd.conf and restarting the service now rsh works!

$ rsh uffbsd
Password:
Last login: Wed Nov 30 16:02:31 on ttyp0
Copyright (c) 1992-2005 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE (SERVER3) #0: Mon Nov  7 18:07:20 CET 2005

Welcome in FreeBSD!

uffbsd victor# exit

rlogin: connection closed

BUT......
 pvm goes on complaining as at the very beginning of this thread that:

victor$ pvm

pvm> add NbBSD
add NbBSD
0 successful
                    HOST     DTID
                   NbBSD Duplicate host
pvm> add uffbsd
add uffbsd
0 successful
                    HOST     DTID
                  uffbsd Can't start pvmd

Auto-Diagnosing Failed Hosts...
uffbsd...
Verifying Local Path to "rsh"...
Rsh found in /usr/bin/rsh - O.K.
Testing Rsh/Rhosts Access to Host "uffbsd"...

Rsh/Rhosts Access FAILED - "rshd: Login incorrect."
Make sure host uffbsd is up and connected to
a network and check its DNS / IP address.
Also verify that NbBSD.myd.prv is allowed
rsh access on uffbsd
Add this line to the $HOME/.rhosts on uffbsd:
NbBSD.myd.prv victor

Now user victor on the uffbsd box had been defined via adduser as a normal
user with password.Thinking the the problem was the password, I deleted it
and recreated this user as passwordless but rsh fails asking for a password
all the same and pvm fails with identical diagnostic.

Please help again

Vittorio