FreeBSD Clustering wishlist - Was: Introduction & RE:Clustering with Freebsd

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Sun May 15 11:56:11 PDT 2005

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> yf-263 wrote:
>

>>在 2005-05-11三的 22:45 -0500,Eric Anderson写道:
>>

>>>Ok - I'm changing the subject here in an attempt to gather information.
>>>
>>>Here's my wishlist:
>>>

>>As for your wishlists, how about the MogileFS of
>>http://www.danga.com/mogilefs/
>>
>>And what do you think about our GoogleFS like && MogileFS features
>>Clustre FS ?
>>

> "Yes, this means your application has to specifically use a MogileFS
> client library to store and retrieve files."
>
> I don't call that a filesystem, really.  Stuff like this has its uses,
> but for general use, you need something that's entirely transparent to
> the app.

I agree.  It has to look and feel like an OS to my apps.  I need to NFS
share it to systems so they can access it as NFS clients.  Besides,
MogileFS doesn't even sound like a filesystem:

 From the website:
================
MogileFS is not:

     * POSIX Compliant -- you don't run regular Unix applications or
databases against MogileFS. It's meant for archiving write-once files
and doing only sequential reads. (though you can modify a file by way of
overwriting it with a new version)

As far as your clustre fs goes, I need to see more info.  You mentioned
it's wonderful features to me, but I'd like to see a website to read
more, and download source code..

Eric