Introduction & RE: Clustering with Freebsd

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Wed May 11 08:37:12 PDT 2005

Phil E. wrote:
> I have been doing a lot of research and am wondering if perhaps this may be
> a place to start as far as a file system foundation:
>
> http://wiki.ethereal.com/ATA_20Over_20Ethernet
>
> Here is more from the developer:
>
> http://www.coraid.com/documents/SATAEtherDrive.pdf

There are Linux-based clustered filesystems already extant.  It's generally
more efficient, I think, to do the clustering at a higher level than down at
the device level (I haven't read those documents, but "ATA over Ethernet"
sounds pretty low-level to me).

You might take a look at the stuff in OpenSSI, http://www.openssi.org/,
for a few pointers or ideas.  Certainly there's a clustered file system
there but it's by no means the only one.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/