Clustering options

Peter Ross Peter.Ross at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 23 03:40:45 GMT 2004

Justin Hopper wrote:
> I'll take a look at the docs for freevrrpd, that sounds pretty
> interesting.

I used VRRP on Linux machines. It worked very well.

I used ipfilter rules on a firewall infront of servers to setup TCP
connections by random. The rule is only needed for a setup packet because
the firewall keeps track of established connections. (BTW: I did the same
with the random netfilter module on Linux).

Besides of that I used pound to loadbalance HTTP requests to multiple web
servers.

AFS seems to be generally a good idea to mirror filesystems but I do not
have working experience with it. And it seems that FreeBSD has OpenAFS and
an own implementation? (And I heard rumours that both are highly
experimental?)

Maybe it is good to collect all the small programs you can use for
clustering and higher availibility together on a website. I do not know
one yet.

Regards
Peter