clustering: how to start?

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Wed Dec 1 05:51:11 PST 2004

Koza Zbigniew wrote:
[snip]
> Then I recalled that several years ago I experimented with FreeBSD and I
> liked it. Now I hear that FreeBSD supports SMP "natively", so
> no kernel recompilation will be necessary.
> I thought - maybe we could try and use FreeBSD instead of Debian?
> Now my question is: where should I start?
> Which docs should I read?
> Which program(s) should I use to cluster our 4 FreeBSD boxes?
>
> regards,
> Z. Koza

FreeBSD won't do process distribution natively. Want a project? :)

Other than that, there are other programs you can use to distribute
applications in userspace (such as any of the MPI packages; I've had
good experience with lam-mpi). To monitor the status of your clusters,
you can use an application called Ganglia.

Good luck!

Devon H. O'Dell