FreeBSD on AWS Graviton (t4g)

Rafal Lukawiecki raf at rafal.net
Wed Jan 20 13:12:31 UTC 2021

Colin, I am only slowly realising the impact of the points you have made. :)

>> On 20 Dec 2020, at 18:33, Colin Percival <cperciva at tarsnap.com> wrote:
>>
>> * The EC2 API "shutdown" / "reboot" message is sent via a pl061 GPIO device
>> and we're dropping it on the floor; consequently "reboot" does nothing at
>> all, while "shutdown" does nothing until EC2 times out and does a hard
>> poweroff (without filesystems being unmounted etc).

I have noticed a bunch of artefacts left over from unclean shutdowns, which I assume are caused by the above not calling the shutdown rc.d scripts. Do you know if this is likely to get implemented any time soon, or are you aware of a simple workaround?

I have to say that in general I am finding FreeBSD 12.2 on t4g pretty good and surprisingly stable. The CPU utilisation is different in terms of metrics, and I cannot quite put my finger on it, but the web apps seem to run faster. Of course, it is nice that it is also cheaper.

Thanks,
Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki