FreeBSD on AWS Graviton (t4g)

Rafal Lukawiecki raf at rafal.net
Fri Jan 1 12:33:59 UTC 2021

>> Oh, and a generic ARM issue: It's not a Tier 1 platform yet, so freebsd-update
>> doesn't work and packages aren't always as up-to-date as on x86.  But I think
>> those are being worked on...

Colin, would I be able to build an updated RELEASE in the AMI maker before I call mkami? In the days of 11.1 I had to recompile the kernel to use your patch (many thanks!) and so I did something like this:

$ svnlite --non-interactive --trust-server-cert-failures=unknown-ca co https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/11.1/ /usr/src/
$ make DESTDIR=/mnt kernel -j16

I am not sure what magic is being done by the AMI maker itself to /mnt. I wonder if I could use this approach to build the kernel using the latest patched release of ARM, at least until it moves to Tier 1. Would I need to build the userland, too? Or are the security patches installed by freebsd-update only affecting the kernel?

Thanks for your help, as always.
Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki