Shutdown causing reboot in EC2

Rafal Lukawiecki raf at rafal.net
Sat Oct 28 17:21:11 UTC 2017

> Technically it's the FreeBSD project's image. :-)
>
> It only says "Sold by Colin Percival" in the Marketplace for historical
> reasons -- my account got some special flags set years ago, and Amazon
> hasn't gotten the paperwork done to get the release engineering account
> flagged the same way.  All the builds are done by re at .

I realise that. I am glad to be using it via the Marketplace so that it enables you and FreeBSD RE to count the popularity of the OS on AWS. I understand you would not get the count otherwise.

> I guess the obvious question here is "what does it mean for a virtual machine
> to be halted but not powered off”?

I defer to you and to others who are more experienced than I to answer this. The ‘shutdown -h’ behaviour with Amazon Linux and CentOS on AWS is to power off. However, if reboot is what is supposed to happen in this case, I will gladly adjust to that, although it feels a little odd.

Thank you,
Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki