Suppress kernel messages "NFSv4 fileid > 32bits"

Rafal Lukawiecki raf at rafal.net
Sun Dec 3 23:44:02 UTC 2017

> On 3 Dec 2017, at 21:57, Colin Percival <cperciva at tarsnap.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/03/17 09:18, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:
>> Is there a way to completely suppress the "NFSv4 fileid > 32bits” messages
>> from flooding my logs and the subsequent emailed reports? This message is
>> unavoidable when running on AWS until FreeBSD 12 comes out, based on the
>> previous discussions here.
>
> Well, unavoidable when using EFS.  Most people in EC2 aren't using EFS.

Apologies. I typed too fast.

> CCing in Rick, as the maintainer of the NFS code -- Rick, any opinion on
> having a vfs.nfs.suppress_32bits_warning sysctl, defaulting to 0, which
> suppresses those two warnings when set to nonzero?

Is this option already available somewhere in code, or would that be a proposed one?

I get tens of thousands of those warnings a day per server. Thankfully, they are “rolled-up” with counts, but it still makes a few hundred to low thousands of lines in the log and email reports. It would be great to suppress it altogether till 2019 when FreeBSD 12 comes out.

Many thanks,
Rafal