Replies to spam

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Nov 29 08:46:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

another thread that started at
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2016-November/thread.html#start .

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 07:10:33 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>> > Forums do so as well, we are usually just not used to terminal
>> > browsers.
>
>Wrong. Forums do not do well, not in a fancy browser, not in lynx
>(which I'm used to use for many things), because one must be online
>all the time to read/sort/delete/answer messages. With the lists I'm
>fetching them down in a few minutes, read, delete and answer(!) them
>offline, and later I let do sendmail its job to send out my answers in
>a few seconds when I go online again.

Hi Matthias,

as already pointed out, I prefer mailing lists over forums, too.
Mailing lists fit better to my work-flow, that is different to
yours, too.

Anyway, the work-flow you're describing is very unusual nowadays.
Warren's point is, that times are changing:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2016-November/274821.html

You might have noticed that people who are new to mailing lists tend to
break threads, tend to improper quoting, btw. your quoting is broken,
too. Not "David I Noel escribió", but I wrote that forums do so as well.
Subscribers run into issues with HTML. Several mail address providers
cause issues when using a mailing list. Last but not least, the
default mode for digest is "plain text" instead of "MIME". If it would
be MIME, there wouldn't be issues with threads, subjects and completely
quoted digests. Quasi all MUAs nowadays are able to handle MIME.

For a lot of people forums are easier to use. Many people even don't
know that if they are unable to handle a mailing lists, they could use
features provided by the MUA they are using, at least to reply to the
list, to unsubscribe and to show the archive.

Regards,
Ralf