What Larry McVoy (bitkeeper) got wrong ....

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Jul 25 20:36:43 UTC 2016

On 07/25/2016 12:00, twilight wrote:
> The only sad thing is that *BSD is actually dying. Linux is getting
> literally everywhere, spoiling standards with linuxisms and accepting
> blobs (that are still Linux-specific, so no hardware support even with
> blobs and no open specs also). So, losing contributors, that are going
> to more popular projects, lacking the hardware support and better to not
> talk about the dead FreeBSD media-advertising will eventually lead to a,
> at first, marginal haiku-like community and death of a bunch of little
> flavors (DragonFly BSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD), and, then, to the end of life
> of the system. So sad, that the money and legacy, not the efficiency and
> power make the modern IT world.

I don't think BSD isn't going to die though. BSD is very appealing to
those who is able to really appreciate technology. This is sadly a very
small fraction of even those in the computer field. But still, FreeBSD
has been active for decades now, and there is a pretty active community
not showing any signs of dying. There will always be people who will be
able to recognize greatness when they see it. I hope it will stay this way.

Yuri