FreeBSD Popularity

Jamie jamie at geniegate.com
Mon Mar 1 23:57:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 03:50:29PM -0300, Alex Moura wrote:
> 2010/3/1 Roger <rnodal at gmail.com>
> I thought there was plenty of options for FreeBSD hosting around, given its
> popularity. Googling this string makes it spit a lot of results, including
> jails
> hostings.
>
> freebsd '(vps|hosting)'

Try to actually find one, not just the google resuls. There aren't many,
I was lucky in that I found a dedicated host, reasonably priced that'll
run freebsd. (and only older ones.. I'm too chicken to upgrade via
remote)

> > I agree with you. My boss understand nothing about Linux yet we are using
> > it.
> > Just to quote my boss. "I don't love Linux but I hate it more that Linux".
> > I'm working in a master plan to bring FreeBSD to the light ;). Any tips
> > would be welcome :).
> >

> Start here:
>
> FreeBSD Advocacy
> http://www.freebsd.org/advocacy/

The trouble with advocacy is that, the more you try to flood people with
information, the more turned off they are. It very quickly reaches a
point where they get annoyed with your suggestion and will insist on
doing their thing, simply to spite you.

Haven't had any success with this.. (and rather doubt I will..) but I've
been using the tactic of "It's too bad we don't have FreeBSD's
scheduler, things would probably run more smoothly" or lean base or
jails or.. backups would be easier with snapshots.

But then leave it at that, briefly.

If you start pitching it, people immediately turn away.

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
Perl * Java * UNIX                        User Management Solutions