[_fbsd_chat_] why the different eol lengths ? [ was: Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 7.2 EoL coming soon ]

spellberg_robert emailrob at emailrob.com
Tue Jun 8 15:43:24 UTC 2010

greetings ---

i am putting this on _chat because it is more than a "question" and it has a tinge of "advocacy".

let me say, straight_away, that i am not making any allegations or accusations;
   i am attempting to reason this through, deductively, and i am making little head_way.

question:
   if version "x dot y_plus_one" is "better" [ for some definition of that word ] than version "x dot y",
   then why is support for the "better" version being terminated, by --design--, before support for the "less_than_better" version ?

i just don't understand the "by design" part.

i can understand longer support, by design, for the last version of a series [ e. g., 4.11, 5.5, 6.4, 7.3, et cetera ];
   some people may like some characteristic
   [ of course, the last version --should-- have a long_date, by design, on general principle ].

i can understand shorter support, by design, for the zeroth version [ e. g., 5.0 ]; after all, it is, effectively, a "super_beta".

i can understand, after_the_fact, extending an original end_of_life_date, due to the occurrence of some un_foreseen event.

i suppose that some_one will "pipe_up" that
   this policy reduces the number of versions that are to be maintained; but, this argument has a flaw.
in the sequence "long_date_a, short_date_b, long_date_c":
   if i am running "a",
   then why should i upgrade to "b"; if i am going to have to upgrade to "c", anyway ?
i may_as_well wait for the release of "c", in the first_place.
from this, it follows that there isn't much point in releasing "b" [ if many follow this reasoning, why bother ? ].
on the other hand, "b" could be announced as a "super_beta" for "c", i suppose;
   but, now, i have shifted from deduction to induction [ do i really want to go here ? ].

i have considered the possibility that
   my lack of understanding could result from my not being a "bleeding edge" type.
i have rejected this argument because
   these people will always install the "latest_and_greatest" version nearly immediately;
   therefore, to them, the details of --any-- policy will be irrelevant.

looking at the dates [ included below, for_your_ready_reference ],
   if a body is running 6.4, they may_as_well wait until the end of the year,
   so as to re_evaluate the situation, in light of the possible existence of 7.5, 8.3 and/or 9.1;
   right now, 7.3 is the only one that is worth the effort.

i just don't "get it".

rob

FreeBSD Security Officer wrote:

[snip]

 > Please note that since FreeBSD 7.1
> has been designated for 'Extended' support, it will continue to be supported
> until the end of January 2011, i.e., FreeBSD 7.1 will be supported longer
> than FreeBSD 7.2.

[snip]