Problems With New Audio CD

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Wed Apr 7 21:38:54 UTC 2010

Please folks, quit CCing me. I'm subscribed to the list. I even state as
much in my sig. All this extra mail is just clutter.

On 04/07/10 16:09, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Programmer In Training <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> writes:
>
>> I would go to questions, but I'm not sure it's relevant there so I
>> thought I'd ask here.
>>
>> I just received a new, never been unwrapped before I touched it, audio
>> CD (Santcus Real, Pieces of a Real Heart). I can play it via 'cdcontrol
>> play' but it won't play in VLC, Audacious won't recognize it, and
>> Asunder can't rip it (for my fair use copy).
>
> Return it as defective.  Even if this is a case of copy protection, that
> makes it defective.  To be honest, I doubt that it's intentional copy
> protection, but I don't see why it matters anyway.

It's not a matter of money and even if it were, I won the CD in a legal
contest.

>> Just an FYI, I do not download torrents of music (owned or otherwise, if
>> I own it why do I need to torrent it), and this won't change that fact.
>> It will, however, color future ideas about purchasing from this artist.
>
> Don't blame the artist; blame the record label.  If they *own* the
> record label, then go ahead and put the blame anywhere you like.

Then the artists, if they are opposed to such measures, should seek a
different label. I can't hurt the label directly without hurting the
artist, too. In war the artists would be termed collateral damage. This
is a war. One the RIAA and artists like Metallica started (though I will
admit that bootleggers had a big hand in making it a war).

I'm firing back full bore. I will not sit idly by and be treated as if
I'm a criminal.
--
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.