lcd monitor manufacturer recommendation request

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sat Nov 21 19:54:32 UTC 2009

spellberg_robert <emailrob at emailrob.com> writes:
> Person, Roderick <personrp at UPMC.EDU> writes:
> > You could get an LCD monitor that only has the 15 pin connection,
> > then you can choose refresh rate and play with modelines. At least
> > on the Viewsonic LCD I have which is 5 years old I had to do that to
> > get it working. That is if you really want to keep doing such
> > things.
> it isn't that i --want-- to keep doing this; it is that i --can-- do
> so, if i desire.

A CRT has an electrom beam that sweeps across the screen left to right
and top to bottom, and the horizontal and vertical sync frequencies
control how fast the beam moves.  An LCD panel does not have an electron
beam; it has discrete, individually adressable pixels.  If you insist on
hooking it up to an analog port, it will have to convert the analog
signal to a digital signal in order to display it, and you will get
sampling artifacts, aliasing etc.  I don't care how good you are at
writing modelines; you will never come up with one that looks better
than what you will get with a digital connection.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no