lcd monitor manufacturer recommendation request

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Nov 20 09:21:38 UTC 2009

spellberg_robert wrote:
 > i need to get some new monitors, but, it has been a_while.
 >
 > when i was buying "crt" monitors i would get sony [ love that "trinitron" tube !!! ].
 > nec was frequently recommended, although i never got around to trying any.
 > however, time marches on.
 > the "lcd" technology seems to be the current rage.
 >
 > q:  if reliability was your only concern, which manufacturers [ 1, 2, 3 maybe ] would you recommend ?
 >
 > i like to tweak.
 > the kind of manufacturer i want is one whose manual gives h & v frequencies and sync timings
 >    [ thank you, mr. lehey, for your excellent explanation of "mode_lines";
 >        my first attempt, so many years ago, worked on the first try
 >    ].

When I used CRT monitors I also used to tweak mode lines,
but I haven't done that in ages.  It's best to forget about
them alltogether.  In today's world of digital monitor
signals (DDC, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, whatever), the
graphics card and the monitor will negotiate the values
themselves.  You don't have to do anything.

You should also note that the refresh rate is pretty much
irrelevant for LCD displays.  While 85 Hz did make sense
for CRT monitors in order to avoid flickering, that's not
necessary with LCD monitors.  They won't flicker with
60 Hz which is a very common refresh rate for LCD.

I can't recommend a certain manufacturer, though.
My recommendation is to go to a shop, look at several
monitors and take the one you like best, irrespective
of the manufacturer.  Do *NOT* buy an LCD display that
you haven't seen with your own eyes before.  I'm serious.

By the way, back in the CRT days, my favourite was EIZO.
I disliked Sony.  My EIZO F563-T is still standing in a
corner of my desk and is being used occasionally.  Must
be at least 12 years old now, but still working fine.

Well, my > 20 years old Commodore 1084S is also still
working fine and being used to playback DVDs.  It's
not useful as a computer monitor by today's standards,
though.  :-)

Sorry for the digression ...

Best regards
   Oliver

"And believe me, as a C++ programmer, I don't hesitate to question
the decisions of language designers.  After a decent amount of C++
exposure, Python's flaws seem ridiculously small." -- Ville Vainio