Is there anybody to use Linux?

Jamie jamie at geniegate.com
Sun Nov 15 19:46:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:55:01AM +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
> Since FreeBSD's flash is not good, i'm considering to use linux box for
> desktop, instead of FreeBSD. Please advice me about using Linux distro
> like as Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, Fedora!

I ended up wiping freebsd and going with linux too. (for me, I needed
audacity and I just could not make it work on freebsd for anything, not
matter how hard I tried)

Anyway, if you like freebsd ports, gentoo is OK. You can compile stuff
with settings that apply to whatever YOU need instead of the generic
settings.

Slackware is nice & simple. (but can be hard to maintain)

I don't recommend any of the debian variants, largely because you might
have to deal with other debian people, it's like a cult culture or
something over there, debiantology.

The RPM stuff (fedora & redhat) seems really great at first, until it
blows up and you're stuck in dependency hell. Perhaps they've improved
that by now though. my corporate-ish clients use the RPM based linux
because I haven't talked them into freebsd :-)

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
Perl * Java * UNIX                        User Management Solutions