Is there anybody to use Linux?

Allen GedankeZauberer at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 16:55:51 UTC 2009

On Sunday 15 November 2009 10:55:01 am Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
> Since FreeBSD's flash is not good, i'm considering to use linux box for
> desktop, instead of FreeBSD. Please advice me about using Linux distro
> like as Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, Fedora!
>
> Sincerely,

I use both Linux and FreeBSD, so I may be of some help:

First, I should point out that I've been hearing great things about FreeBSD 8
and Flash. Apparently the Flash for FreeBSD 8 is going to be a lot better. I
too like to be able to watch Youtube and Myspace stuff, so it matters to me.

As for a distro of Linux, well, that depends.

I personally LOVE Slackware, Debian, and SUSE Linux. Those are the ones I'd
recommend to someone who wanted to use it. Fedora is basically in my opinion
crap. I don't like it, and I don't like Ubuntu. Neither one is really special
or anything, but Slackware, being hat you're coming from BSD, should feel
pretty much at right on.

Debian is a great one too, and has APT to play with, and works fine with
flash. Slackware will require you to grab the Flash thing yourself, but it
works fine.

SUSE works great, has a GREAT tool called "YAST2" which runs both in X and in
a text terminal (Just type yast without the "2") and also it works out of the
box a lot better than most of the corporate designed distros. It's got really
good hardware support, and it finds things even Windows doesn't like to use.

I've been using and talking about SUSE for a very long time because it's the
best general purpose distro I've ever used. You can also download OpenSUSE
for free which is also very nice. And it's a lot more stable than anything
RedHat is going to give you.

Anyway, if Flash is the only reason you're using it, you can either try
FreeBSD 8, or, any Linux distro you like. I just personally would recommend
either Debian, Slackware, or SUSE.

-Allen
--
http://www.myspace.com/farmacyofhorror
Digital Horror Punk - Music I make! All done with LMMS