Developers motivation research

M. Pith Mark.Pith at student.uva.nl
Fri Nov 6 02:38:08 UTC 2009

Dear Freebsd community,

We are researching the motivation factors of Open Source software programmers and would
like to ask your cooperation in our large-scale research. The research is performed for the
Amsterdam Business School of the University of Amsterdam. Your participation would consist
of completing an online survey to which we have linked below. Your participation is
completely anonymous and the research publication will be freely available, including the
results of the survey.

The goal of the research is to better understand the motivations software programmers have
for joining and contributing to an Open Source project. It is important our results are based
on a diversified group of developers , which includes members of projects that release their
code under BSD-derived licenses (such as FreeBSD).

The insights gained from this research would help the development of theory for Information
Management and could help practitioners better understand Open Source projects. Next to
this, the publication of this research will increase the exposure of the development of Open
Source software within the academic environment. Please follow the link to the online survey.

Our test audience has shown that completing the survey will take about 15 minutes. Your
time is highly appreciated by us.

http://bit.ly/Survey_Developers_Motivation

Kind regards,
Dr. Thomas Adelaar
Mark Pith

-This independent research is not related to the FreeBSD project.-