What is this forum for?

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Sat May 30 19:35:00 UTC 2009

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> Hey folks, all of you, could I please sugggest that this entire thread
>> (under a
>> variety of subject names) is an abuse of the lists?
>
> Generally i do agree with you. But - in my opinion there are lots of
> other abuses. Whenever i pointed this out i got tons of protests from
> others.
>
> So please - who should decide what's on and whats off topic?

Wojciech, you want to respect POLA: the principle of least astonishment.  It's
not often applied to things like mailing lists, but folks exepct to see tech
support on FreeBSD-Questions, and things like FreeBSD-boosterisms and flamewars
on FreeBSD-chat, where they really are within the list rules.

Expecting any possible solution to work 100% of the time (especially anything
dealing with humans) is a very unfair tactic in trying to justify any view.
What you want to look for is a solution that causes the least problems, and
respecting the list rules does that.  It won't fix all problems, but it does
keep the noise level on our lists to a minimum, and maximizes the amount of help
that can be passed on our lists.  So, don't use the fact that you can point out
single failures as a justification to enable people to act like list juveniles.
 I can' be the only person who likes the FreeBSD lists because they have such a
far lower noise level than any Linux list, and we really do want to keep things
that way.  Respecting POLA is a fine way to go after that goal.

I replied to this on FreeBSD-chat.  Would really be appreciated if you could
leave it there, and if anyone then complains, I'll help you myself in keeping
the topic up, because it's a reasonable, allowed thing on FreeBSD-chat.