ping wars

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon May 11 16:56:08 UTC 2009

deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
 > One day me and my roommate had some fun spamming eachother with icmp
 > ping packets. FreeBSD vs Arch(?)Linux.

This depends a lot on the hardware, the network, and lots
of other things.

Also, I don't think the FreeBSD kernel is optimized for
high ICMP throughput.  There's no reason to do that,
because it's not really a real-world benchmark.  You
should better make some more real-world benchmarks such
as transferring files.  And make sure that you use
comparable hardware (including identical NICs, because
these can make a _huge_ difference).

Also make sure that you have a switched connection in full-
duplex mode.  Or even better, use a direct connection with
a "crossed" cable.

You might also want to play with polling or other tuning
parameters; please have a look at the tuning(7) manual page
and the Handbook.  Also make sure that you don't have any
packet filters installed (IPFW, IPF, PF).

Best regards
   Oliver

C++: "an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog"
        -- Steve Taylor, 1998