Supercomputing with FreeBSD?

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Mon Jun 23 02:27:52 UTC 2008

Yes I remember when Nvidia posted that post so they could better support
their hardware on FreeBSD, but at least a few FreeBSD developers slammed
the Nvidia poster for reasons that appeared to me to be quite unreasonable.
While I have not tracked what came out of all that I assumed very little.

It reminds me of when OpenBSD got a huge financial contribution to do a
few projects for DARPA that would of helped the OpenBSD OS in a bunch of
security and related features, but the leader of OpenBSD was arguably
'immature' about where the money was coming from and thus lost the
financial contribution, due to some comments he made publicly.

These things happen on open projects like these, in theory you will
always have people who hate larger bodies of power and I guess its OK
for them to voice their opinions, but there should be some good upper
leader ship to take advantage of these opportunities, ideally.

Mike