High Performance Computing

Nathan Lay nslay at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 06:41:28 UTC 2008

Hi list,
I'm a grad student at the School of Computational Science (a poorly
chosen name for scientific computing) at FSU.  My interests, while not
necessarily scientific, is in machine learning.  I work on software that
trains classifiers on an 8 core Xeon machine and consumes about 15GB of
RAM (needed when you train with 103k features!).  All the development is
presently done on Windows XP64, but I will eventually have to make the
software cross platform.  We ideally want to use icc (not the old one in
ports!) or some other high performance compiler, but these simply don't
exist on FreeBSD...we will unfortunately have to use Linux.  Words can't
even begin describe how gcc doesn't compare to compilers like icc or
suncc.  I'm very worried that FreeBSD will never take ahold in the HPC
community, especially as computers ship with more cores (where FreeBSD
is shining!) and make OpenMP, HPF, and similar more attractive than
MPI.  What can be done to expose FreeBSD to the HPC community?  How can
we get Intel, Sun and others to support HPC on FreeBSD?  I really look
forward to the day that FreeBSD runs on that 8 core machine, I'd like to
see SMPng at work :)

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay