bits wrap when leftshifting non-constant amounts

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Feb 13 02:39:45 PST 2008

deeptech71 at gmail.com wrote:
 > My gcc 3.4.6 behaves weirdly when left shifting, and I couldn't
 > find any info on this.
 > [...]
 > It seems that lsh is first moduloed with the width of int. What the hell?

C99 standard, section 6.5.7 "Bitwise shift operators",
page 84:

"If the value of the right operand is negative or is
greater than or equal to the width of the promoted left
operand, the behaviour is undefined."

Best regards
   Oliver

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie.