viral license free fork of freebsd

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Fri Oct 5 03:55:13 PDT 2007

> > I am intrested in putting together a version of FreeBSD (at least the
> > non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not
> > techinically viral but I don't trust it]) free... where would be a
> > good starting point on this project?

> The short answer is that you simply cannot do this. You cannot
> set the licensing terms on code you did not write without a
> written relicensing agreement from the original author, which you
> don't have. This is the law in the United States and it's
> probably impossible for this or other reasons elsewhere.
[snip]

Ignore me. I'm sorry, I misread his original post. I saw the "100% viral
license" and didn't connect the "free" after the parenthesis to mean *NO*
viral license. Not "100% viral license" and "free" which is clearly not what
he meant.

So here I am bringing up the very thing I was complaining about constantly
being brought up. In my defense, it is 4AMish my time.

DS