newspeak

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Sat Feb 24 01:35:55 UTC 2007

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> is alive and well and living in the front bedroom:
>
>  re·verse en·gi·neer·ing
>
>  noun
>  Definition:
>
>  stealing competitor's technology: the pirating of a competitor'
feh

I have often wondered why ideas that apply in all other areas of
endeavor are simply missing from computing circles.  If Consumer Reports
can look under the hood  of a car, why can't a hacker look under the
hood of software?  If General Mills has to tell us what is in a box of
cereal, why don't software companies have to tell us their algorithms?
If you can compromise CSS on a DVD why can't you report it like a
consumer advocate reports that "Oxiclean really doesn't work at all."
And on that topic, why does the MPAA go after the hacker instead of the
company that sold them pure junk in the first place?

Bah!
Jason