Why is not more FreeBSD software written in C++?

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Sat Apr 15 11:13:36 UTC 2006

Something occurred to me just now. I've been looking at the summer of code
page, where I noticed the "Rewrite cvsup in C" entry. When Perl was removed
from the FreeBSD base, the general notion was to rewrite any Perl scripts in
sh or C.

Why is it that C++ is not used for our programs? The C++ compiler is in the
base and built by default, and the OOP paradigm is a nice one, that many
programmers, especially the younger ones (like me :) ) are probably more
familiar with than the tricks and techniques used in C to achieve good
efficiency.

My first guess is that it's a habit. People dealing with the FreeBSD source
code are used to C, and therefore use that for their apps. If it's only that,
there'd be no good reason for not writing a tool like cvsup in C++, right? Or
is there a more technical reason?

Cheers
Benjamin