the value of a journal filesystem?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 5 09:31:20 PST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Steve Kargl wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is a ext2fs, ext3fs, or reiserfs, but the 2nd
> paragraph is somewhat ominious.  The notice does statement whether the
> damaged filesystems are on other disks or on disks in other machines
> (ie. nfs mounted).

Journalling, as with Soft Updates, relies on generally correct operation
of the media (i.e., changes are written or not, etc), and is intended to
protect only against "fail stop" failure modes.  Handling media failure is
generally a task for RAID arrays, which are intended to mask corruption by
coercing corruption to "fail stop" on the media.  So the interesting
question here would be: did their RAID not protect them?  Or did they not
have RAID?

Robert N M Watson