bragging rights

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Apr 29 14:56:33 PDT 2005

This is chat, I can do what I want, and what I want is to brag a bit
about the system I'm stuck together, cause I'm awfully proud of it.

It's a big grey Antec case witha side thats clear, so it has a fan
there.  I've sprayed clear/blue UV spray all over the plastic, so the
lit up side mounted fan there flouresces the plastic very nicely.  The
system has two fans in front, two in the rear, one on the side, and two
on the two AMD64 processors.  The fans are all speed-controlled, so I
don't have to listen to the end of the world vibrating itself to death
here on my desktop, it's actually very quiet.  The two CPU fans are very
quiet ones, Thermaltake's, but I forget the model number, so I will just
say that they works at fairly low rpms to keep the noise down.  Each of
those cpus is equipped with a Gig of ram from Corsair.

The Mobo has it's own sound on it, but I eschewed that because the very
cheap SoundBlaster Audigy had it's own very compatible FreeBSD and Linux
drivers, and it communicates via digital.  Actually, I have this system
and a second system, and each has 3 cables coming from it, and those
cables go directly into the Klipsch speakers (I love having the direct
digital input!) so I ran the 3 cables from each computer into a keyboard
switcher, and used the video cable fro the digital sound, and it's just
superb.  I get sound however I want it.

The sound has to come from somewhere, ultimately, and I have two drives.
  The little one, the one that's best for cd's (although it reads dvd's
also) is the Sony CRX320E).  The other one is for writing anything at
all, so I got the best I could find, the HP DVD Writer 420n.  Between
the two, I can read or write anything.  They just work great with kde's
k3b, wcich allows them to copy dvd's even.

The disks are very well worth noting.  Three of them, organized into the
boot section and the home section.  The boot section is a 35G scsi, but
it's 15K rpm rotation rate, which means it's blazing.  This would be
fast enough on it's own, but it's not on it's own.  Tell me if you think
it's the neatest, but I don't think so.  My own encomium is given to the
home section, which is formed from two 145G scsi disks.  They are each
only 10K rotation rate (faster than the fastest IDE, anyhow), but each
one has it's own independent scsi bus, so that the fast that they're
hooked together in a striped access via vinum means (in effect) I have a
290G drive that's, I dunno, I have to get to test, but damned fast, let
me tell you!

Small stuff, it's got the floppy and the network interface, but I won't
bore.

I'm very very proud of this system,  Can you see why?