training (was Resourceful BSD/Linux Network Administrator)

Glenn Sieb ges at wingfoot.org
Fri Jul 2 21:02:51 PDT 2004

Dru said the following on 7/2/2004 10:16 PM:

> And modern education systems are getting worse, not better. Since I
> entered the training scene in 1997, I've seen 3 year curriculums get
> cut down to 4 months. Government programs, scholarships, and bursary
> programs slashed down to pittances. Apparantly, IT isn't as hot as it
> used to be. Worse, many who are hiring prefer someone with only 4
> months of training and a superficial understanding of what they're
> being paid to do. That way they'll follow their scripts
> unquestioningly and not complain at being paid $10 an hour.

I knew a guy back in the mid 90s who, while on Unemployment, decided to
go to some training and become an MCSE. Of course, NJ Unemployment only
cared about the *placement* rate the schools had, not whether they were
worth their salt. So he got his MCSE, and landed a job working 50+ hours
a week, tied to a pager 24x7 for a whole $25,000 a year. In metropolitan
NJ. I had even advised him about how much an MCSE would add to his
worth, and such, but he was offered the job and had to accept it (back
then they had very totalitarian rules about such things with
Unemployment in NJ). And he justified it by saying he had no experience
anyway. Even though he aced all his tests. And yes, I know, book
learning <> real world. But the fact that he _aced_ them counts for
something. He hadn't passed by the skin of his teeth like a lot of
people who go to such classes do. He bothered to actually play with the
OS and learn it in addition to what he was doing in class.  I lost track
of him soon after he started his new job. I often wonder how he turned
out--did he succeed or did he burn out? :-/.

> I'd love to see a forum established to discuss how to bring quality
> BSD training to the masses. To create a curriculum that is practical,
> thought provoking, and available. However, freebsd-jobs isn't the
> place to hash it out. Anyone care to suggest a better place to
> continue on this thread?

I, for one, would love to partake. I'm no you or Tom Limoncelli or Greg
Lehey, but I can hopefully share what I've learned over the past few
years, both at Lumeta, and on the experiences I've had on my personal
server. :)  As the old saying goes.. "Hey! It's another learning
experience!" :)

And--by the way--*kudos* on the new book! I've been a fan of your OnLamp
series for a while now, and was waiting for this book with baited
breath! :) Very nice job indeed! [In case you missed it, Dru's _BSD
Hacks_ was recently released by O'Reilly!]

Best,
Glenn

          ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

(Remember--July 30th is System Administrator Appreciation Day!
http://www.sysadminday.com/ Wishlists at http://www.wingfoot.org/~ges/)