Is there a little devil on the way?

NW Gibbs and Bradner GibbsBradner at nwfnews.com
Thu Jul 1 16:15:18 PDT 2004

NETWORK WORLD NEWSLETTER: GIBBS & BRADNER
07/01/04

Dear freebsd-chat at freebsd.org,

In this issue:

* Net Insider columnist Scott Bradner discusses copyright
  infringement legislation
* Links related to Gibbs & Bradner
* Featured reader resource
Free IT Business Brief on Network Change and Configuration
Management

Network Change and Configuration Management (NCCM) is a
must-have for enterprises looking for full control and
manageability over their expanding network environments.  This
IT Business Brief, "Making the Case for NCCM" discusses the
business value of NCCM and outlines how to create a business
case for the deployment of NCCM. Download your copy today!
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=65631
NW SPECIAL REPORTS

Focused reports on compelling industry topics, Network World
Special Reports are available online at Network World Fusion.
Download any or all of our Special Reports on topics such as
strategies for performance management, trends in the networked
world and more at:
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=64846

Today's focus:  Is there a little devil on the way?

By Scott Bradner

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) last week introduced legislation
called the Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act of 2004 (
<http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200406/induce.pdf> ) just before
press time. This follows a leak two weeks ago of an earlier
version of the bill that is quite a piece of work if you read it
literally. But I wonder if that's what we're supposed to do.

The leaked version, which went by the name of the Inducement
Devolves into Unlawful Child Exploitation Act (
<http://www.corante.com/copyfight/archives/004408.html> ) of
2004, had some people active in the copyright debate going
ballistic. It's easy to see why.

The core of the act, at least in the early version (I haven't
had access to the actual bill yet), extends the definition of a
copyright infringer to "whoever intentionally induces any
violation" of copyright laws. It says: "intentionally induces
means intentionally aids, abets, induces, counsels or procures,
and intent may be shown by acts from which a reasonable person
would find intent to induce infringement based upon all relevant
information about such acts then reasonably available to the
actor, including whether the activity relies on infringement for
its commercial viability."

Read literally, this could mean that anyone selling a product
that could be used to infringe copyright would be guilty of
infringement. Hatch is from Utah and parts of Utah are quite
stark and empty (and beautiful as I can attest), but I doubt
that none of his constituents use the Internet or own PCs,
copiers, scanners, cameras, VCRs, TiVo, portable music players,
paper, pens or pencils. Since all of these could be used to make
illegal copies of copyrighted material under the literal wording
of this bill, anyone selling any of these could be guilty of
copyright infringement. This could get a bit dicey for Intel,
Microsoft and pencil makers. (By the way, there is a neat Web
site all about pencils at <http://www.pencils.com/>.)

This is not the first time Hatch has come up with half- or
quarter-baked anti-copyright infringement ideas (
<http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2003/0630bradner.html> ). It
is entirely believable that he would introduce a bill like this
even though at best this bill looks like it was written by the
teenage kid of a movie studio executive who was trying to
protect his inheritance.

But maybe the draft of the bill has served its purpose already.
Maybe its only purpose was to be leaked just to set off a
cacophony of outrage and scorn. Maybe Hatch thinks he can
introduce a somewhat less wacko bill that will sail through
because it looks so good in comparison.

Conjuring up a bogeyman then killing it off as a way to distract
people while you sneak a little devil into the room is not a new
concept. If that's what Hatch is doing, then we need to be on
the lookout for the little devil. It should be showing up any
day now.

Disclaimer: Cacophony at Harvard is hardly new, but the above
addition to the Induce cacophony is mine, not the university's.
Free IT Business Brief on Network Change and Configuration
Management

Network Change and Configuration Management (NCCM) is a
must-have for enterprises looking for full control and
manageability over their expanding network environments.  This
IT Business Brief, "Making the Case for NCCM" discusses the
business value of NCCM and outlines how to create a business
case for the deployment of NCCM. Download your copy today!
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=65631
ARCHIVE LINKS

Gibbs archive:
http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/gibbs.html

Bradner archive:
http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/bradner.html
FEATURED READER RESOURCE
TESTING VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Network World is looking for enterprise networks to be a part of
a test to be conducted on: security appliances with firewall,
IPS, VPN and policy-based management features. Requirements: a
T-1 Internet connection AND 10-200 users sitting behind security
device AND a willingness to let a security consultant assist in
appliance management. Contact Christine Burns at:
mailto:cburns at nww.com
You've got the technology snapshot of your choice delivered
at your fingertips each day. Now, extend your knowledge by
receiving 51 FREE issues to our print publication. Apply
today at <http://www.subscribenw.com/nl2>

International subscribers click here:
<http://nww1.com/go/circ_promo.html>

To change your e-mail address, go to:
<http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/ChangeMail.aspx>

Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to
this message.

This message was sent to: freebsd-chat at freebsd.org
Please use this address when modifying your subscription.

Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor,
at: <mailto:jcaruso at nww.com>

Inquiries to: NL Customer Service, Network World, Inc., 118
Turnpike Road, Southborough, MA 01772

For advertising information, write Kevin Normandeau, V.P. of
Online Development, at: <mailto:sponsorships at nwfusion.com>

Copyright Network World, Inc., 2004

This message was sent to:  freebsd-chat at freebsd.org