RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Thu Jun 26 14:17:58 PDT 2003

At 05:03 AM 6/26/2003, Paul Robinson wrote:

>bzip2 - could be reimplemented

bzip is, IIRC, already under a BSD-like license.

>cc - find an alternative compiler? From where?

TenDRA (sorry if I've flubbed the capitalization here)
is the most often mentioned alternative.

>cpio - reimplement from man page, or replace/remove requirement for

Doesn't OpenBSD have a BSD-licensed cpio?

>cvs - Don't need this do we? :-) look at another version control?

CVS is actually a pretty primitive hack. Moving to something more
modern and powerful would be a big win.

>man - could be re-implemented based on file format information known

OpenBSD has a BSD-licensed implementation.

--Brett