RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Thu Jun 26 13:46:30 PDT 2003

On 2003.06.26 17:32:37 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Dag-Erling [iso-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:
>
> Potentially stupid questions, but ...
>
> > > bc - an undergrad could re-implement based on man page
> >
> > With a good arbitrary-precision math library, yes.  The one we have
> > happens to be GPLed.
>
> Is there anything at the operating system level that uses/requires bc, or
> could it be moved to ports ... ?  Like, I use it, but its a command line
> tool, not something I've seen used in scripts ...

Like awk it's part of IEEE Std 1003.1, so I think it would be a bad idea
to remove it unless there is a very good reason.

> > > less - re-implementable quite quickly
> >
> > You might be surprised...
>
> ... but any reason why its part of hte main system instead of just put
> into ports?

Because it's very nice to have?

While I do think it would be preferable with BSD (or similar) licened
utils, I don't think there is any reason for a crusade to remove GNU/GPL
utils just because of their license, if there is no other compareable
util that can be imported instead.

--
Simon L. Nielsen