RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Jun 26 08:09:28 PDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Brett Glass wrote:

> "the GNU system became popular in conjunction with Linux, but today it
> also runs with two BSD kernels and the GNU kernel."
>
> In short, Stallman considers the BSDs' "userland" utilities to be part
> of the "GNU system."

By the way, GNU LIBC was ported to NetBSD last November/December.
 See:  http://www.geocities.com/velcok/netbsd-gnu.html

(That was in addition to the porting done by Debian/BSD projects.)

glibc is not part of the official NetBSD pkgsrc though (but regular glibc
is part of my pkgsrc which I use for Linux).

> It's time for the BSDs to become TRULY free -- of Stallman's agenda and
> of the noxious provisions of the GPL -- by eliminating all GPLed code.

It is happening.

By the way, using old (but official) Tendra, I have built parts of FreeBSD
userland. The new Tendra (development version) has been continually
improved; I need to use it to try to buildworld.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/