RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 06:09:46 PDT 2003

Replying to myself. Gah!

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 01:46:01PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:

> Anyway, at the moment the one there is actually gawk. Are there no other
> implementations knocking around? There must be if it's in the standard.

Off-list I got a note from Sam Smith stating OpenBSD had a non-GPL awk.
Looking at the man pages for both, at first glance it would indeed seem that
it would make a fine replacement, BUT on the command line all the -W stuff
is not available in the OpenBSD awk.

It looks like the idea of nicking stuff off of OpenBSD might bear some fruit
in the GPL-removal thrashing if somebody wants to go ahead with it. I don't
have commit, but i can prepare the code as ports in the next couple of weeks
if somebody with the magical CVS access then wants the glory of ripping out
the GPL versions of the code... Anyone?

--
Paul Robinson