Advice on how to straighten out a crappy ISP

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 18 02:16:26 PDT 2003

Bill Moran wrote:
> My ISP is Adelphia Cable Internet.
[ ... ]
> Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can get them to fix their
> worthless shit?  I've tried being nice.  I've tried being an asshole.
> I have nothing to threaten with, as there are no other high-speed
> providers in this area.

Volunteer to fix it for them for $$$.

Volunteer to fix it for them for free.

Letter to the editor of every local paper, spaced 1 week apart,
and explaining in plain English what's wrong with their setup,
and the consequences for their customers.

If you can, get on one of your local TV stations as a contrasting
editorial opinion, and use them as an example of a provider who
does things the wrong way.

Start a letter writing campaign by local users's groups.

Contact the local TV station's "consumer advocacy" 5 minute human
interest segment editor (e.g. in the Bay Area, "7 On Your Side").

There are a lot of things you can do that would make it more cost
effective to fix it than to continue doing Business As Usual(tm).

-- Terry