Tridents (was Re: FreeBSD Version Release numbers)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jun 13 06:19:34 PDT 2003

You're quite the historian, Terry.

My understanding, however, of the use of the "trident" with
the Beastie is that it's not a trident but a "fork", with the
obvious play on words in mind.  Obviously, for t-shirts and
other representations to be viewable at a distance, an eating-
sized fork was not large enough, thus a pitchfork was used.
The pitchfork was stylized in such a way that modern
representations look more like a trident (probably unfortunate
for those who apply great significance to symbols).

So, if someone claims that the Beastie has some negative
symbology because he's carrying a trident, simply explain
that it's only a fork, and refer them to the proper man
page.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies